One of the key things you need to do to stay safe online is to understand that bullying happens online, it happens through text messages, social network, emails, etc.
You need to be cautious while being active online. Think twice before posting personal information, photos, videos or comments or even talking in a private conversation, some people do share what you tell them…
How to Protect Yourself from Cyberbullying
Being a victim of cyberbullying can be extremely difficult! It is important to protect yourself and not to be a part of it. The next tips could help you:
To protect yourself:
- Control your postings and comments
- Keep your parents or caregivers involved in your online activities.
- Save your passwords to yourself, don’t ever share them with anyone, except for your parents or caregivers if they ask you to.
How to React to Cyberbullying
- Voice your feelings and ask for help: cyberbullies continue to bully others, if they do not voice their opinions and feelings. It is very important to stand up and speak about your feelings to someone who can help. If you need to; talk openly and honestly to a trustworthy adult and seek support.
- Block & Delete: Getting rid of a cyberbully could be as simple as Blocking & Deleting them, learn how to do that and use it when needed.
- Ignore the situation: If you are being bullied online, you can simply delete the mean comment and block the person or stay away from websites or applications where bullying happens.
- Apologize: Taking ownership and apologizing for a mistake makes you a responsible person and it can help the other person who was effected restore their respect for you.
- Treat others with Respect: If you would like to be treated with respect, it is necessary to behave the same way with others. Think about how others would feel/react to your words or actions if they were impolite, put yourself in their shoes and you will be able to know.
- Be nice to others: As a young person, you can also approach your parents, caregivers or teachers or a trustworthy adult to learn more on how to be nice to others.
You can be active and say no to cyberbullying by writing blogs, posting comments of social networks or tweeting about cyberbullying. #saynotocyberbullying